Saturday 16 April 2016

Sami words, and Sami Spirit

Mari Boine 
I have been listening to the music of Mari Boine since I came to live in Norway. She has always transported me to a place of intense creativity. Her music meant even more to me as I wrote Where The Ice Burns because of its setting in Finnmark, and the importance of the Sami experience in the novel. The first victims of the witch hunts in seventeenth century Finnmark were Sami.
Mari Boine Singing Elle

I love the sounds of Sami words, although I do not know their meaning. Once I read the English translations I know that the spirit of them have infused me. The deep connection between nature, the landscape of the north, and the human heart is a constant inspiration in my writing. 

The song Elle from the album It Ain't Necessarily Evil was one I played time again. Elle is on the soundtrack to the film, The Kautokeino Rebellion, the true story of a revolt in the town of Kautokeino in northern Norway in 1852 by a group of Sami because of injustices against their people by the Norwegian authorities. I found the film very moving. 
Image from the Kautokeino Rebellion
I have included the Sami lyrics to Elle, as well as their English translation to show you the poetry and the beauty of Mari Boine's musical vision. But it is not just her words, but also her voice that has such power. One moment fragile, the next forceful, as if she can sing as a child, and a wise woman. 

Mari Boine
So here are the Sami lyrics to Elle, followed by the English translation that I found on the link below.

Elen Skum (Elle)

De rahpasii giđđaeatnu fas
De dulvvi miel luoittašeimmet
Jiekŋaidja gárttai viimat vuollánit
Bieggabártnažan
De girdilin biellocizažiin
De joradin guovssahasain
Vuoibmás vuoiŋŋ ahagas šogádeimme ovttas
Mu bieggabártnažan
De rahtase jienaheamit fas
De golggiihii sátnerávdnji
Gálbmon gáttiin go mii viimat gávnnadeimmet
Bieggabártnažan
Go váccašat ealloravddas de...
Go guođuhat suhkesoivviid...
Almmiravda ealaska ja sugada

Mu bieggabártnažan
Image from the film Kautokeino Rebellion
English lyrics to Elle

And to the spring river opened up again
And so we let ourselves drift with the flood
The night of ice had to give in
My dearest son of the wind
Surely I flew with the bluethroat
Surely I danced with the northern light
In the strongest breath we exhaled as one
My dearest son of the wind
The lips of the silenced people bursted out in speech
The stream of words once again were flowing
Over the frozen riverbands when we finally came together
My dearest son of the wind
When you're walking alongside the reindeer herd
When you guard the reindeer oxen with the great antlers
All of the horizon comes alive and starts to move
My dearest son of the wind

(The lyrics were found on this link:http://lyricstranslate.com/en/elen-skum-elle-elle.html)

1 comment:

  1. I love Mari Boine! Thank you for the translation. Some very powerful images here!

    ReplyDelete